Bruce Bonafede was born on Long Island and was raised there and in Washington, DC. He attended Union College in upstate New York and studied at New Playwright’s Theatre in Washington, DC, where he was a founding member of the Washington Playwrights Unit.
His first produced play, Advice to the Players, received the Heideman Award at Actors Theatre of Louisville in 1985 and was published in the anthology Best Short Plays—1986. In 2015 Samuel French published the full-length version of Advice to the Players. His other full-length plays include Crusade and North.
Bonafede is a member of the Dramatists Guild, the Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights, and the writers group at Coachella Valley Repertory in Rancho Mirage, California. He lives in Palm Springs.
Production History (initial productions)
Advice to the Players (full-length drama)
Philadelphia Festival Theatre for New Plays, Annenberg Center, 1986
Advice to the Players (one-act drama)
Humana Festival, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1985
“Shorts” Festival, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1984
- Advice to the Players, Samuel French, 2015 (full-length)
– Advice to the Players, Samuel French, 1986 (one-act)
- The Best Short Plays-1986, Applause Books, 1986
- Dialog, anthology, Poland, 1987
- Literary Cavalcade Magazine, Scholastic, 1986
- Best Monologues from the Best American Short Plays, Vol 2, Applause Books, 2014
- Audition Monologues for Young Men: Selections from Contemporary Works, Meriwether Publishing Ltd, 2016
- Heideman Award, Humana Festival, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1985
– Little Theatre of Alexandria (Virginia) Annual One-Act Play Competition, 3rd Place, 2018